Sliema sink Exiles’ hopes

Exiles 9 Sliema 17

(1-5) (3-2) (0-5) (5-5)

Exiles  left the National Pool empty-handed once again last night when they succumbed to neighbours Sliema.

The above partial scores clearly indicate the ups and downs of our team. Having said that, the first two quarters were balanced and the score half-way (4-7) does not reflect the proceedings of the match up to that stage. I would dare say that we could have easily caught up with our opponents had we taken our chances, had the finishing been more accurate and had some luck smiled – lacking so far this season – at our lads. It is probably the first two factors which pumped up Aurelien Cousins’ frustration over the limit and vented his anger against the officials to cost him marching orders from the bench. This was the culmination of a poor third session as the team lost its composure to suffer five consecutive goals. Unlike the previous outing, our attacks  against the Blues’ set defence  were too predictable and easy prey as  overcrowding the centre position was evident. Sliema sucked the lads and revved their energies, waiting for the erratic pass or a desperate last-second shot  to  break away creating numerical advantage situations and finishing with ease.   From the stands, one could notice  hesitance to shoot when there was a clear opportunity but was  missed and the attack fizzled out.

In the last session, Exiles avoided the feared capitulation and managed to keep up with their opponents sharing ten goals to make the final score more respectable.

Coach Cousin and his assistant John Paris who deputized in the third session, made use of twelve players: Ian Bugeja, Julian Rizzo Naudi (1 goal), Simon Vassallo, David Pace Lupi, Nicky Portelli, Sasha Radovic (3 goals), James Spiteri Staines, Vojaslav Cupic (1 goal), Kurt Griscti, Peter Borg (1 goal), Diego Borg, Kayne Lanzon (2 goals).

Exiles had nine players expelled and conceded four goals. Two penalties awarded against were both converted. Our lads managed to score half the ten man-ups created whilst Vojaslav Cupic scored a penalty awarded just before the final horn.


Next match on Friday 26th July against second-placed San Giljan at 19.15 hours.






Latest News

Message from the Club President


The Club President Andrew Paris sent the following message to the members on the 29th May 2020, following the lifting of certain restrictions by the Health Superintendent’s Office:   Dear Members, I trust that you…

Read More
This error message is only visible to WordPress admins

Error: No connected account.

Please go to the Instagram Feed settings page to connect an account.